This small development was built on the site of St Thomas Farm.
St Thomas’ Hospital was originally a monastic institution described as ‘ancient’ even in 1215. The monastery was dissolved during the Reformation but reopened in 1551 through the efforts of the City of London. One of its wards was endowed by the Lord Mayor, Richard Whittington, and one of its Governors, Sir Thomas Guy, founded Guy’s Hospital. For the past 150 years the hospital has been located near Lambeth Palace.
The hospital’s agent in Eltisley in the 18th century was Joseph Barringer who is buried in the North Chapel of the church.
|back to buildings