Skip to main content

The Institute



We do not know the exact date the Institute was built although we do know that on 2nd November 1895, at a meeting of the Parish Council the Chairman raised the question of building a reading room. In May 1896 they had 4 Tenders to build it and one for the amount of £163 10s was sent to the Local Government Office for approval.

The Eltisley & Croxton Insitute was founded in 1903 and the land on which the Institute stands  was given to the Trustees by Mr George Douglas Cochrane Newton of Croxton Park Estate.

The rules of the Institute Reading Rooms were clear and strict, they included:

  • No intoxicating or other drinks shall be brought into the room
  • No game of cards other than Whist is allowed.
  • No gambling, no using bad language, no loud talking or laughing

...and now

Kellys directory 1904 states “ The Church Institute is well equipped with daily papers, it is open daily during the summer and thrice a week in winter”.

The subscription for Labourers was 4d a month and 6d for all others. When it opened in 1903 it had 57 members. It was closed as a reading rooms during the First World War and re-opened in the winter of 1918 for 3 nights a week.

By 1926 it was open 5 nights a week.

back to buildings

 Eltisley History Society.  Copyright © All Rights Reserved.
 Site Map | Privacy & Cookies | Website by Activ Web Design