The Eltisley (Leeds Arms)
The Eltisley is owned by Charles Wells Brewery and was formely called The Leeds Arms. The original name is that of the Leeds family of Croxton Park who built it and whose coat of arms still adorn the sign.
It is a two storey building, with attics, of red brick (now rendered) and a tiled roof. It is thought to have been built towards the end of the 18th Century.
It was first licensed as a public house in 1814.
Before becoming a public house it was a farm. The pub terrace was once the stack yard and the Barn/Function Room were once the stables.
The little girl in the photograph with her father Charles is the three-year-old Doris Sawyer (née Rose), who passed away in 2005, and was the oldest resident in the village at the time. Her son, Michael, was the founding Chairman of the Eltisley History Society.
|back to buildings